Jimmy Westenberg / Android Authority
The Google Pixel 6 collection made its debut final week to loads of fanfare from followers and critics alike. Nevertheless, one particular point out on its characteristic listing piqued our curiosity. In keeping with Google, the Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Professional will get three OS updates, stretching to Android 15 when it debuts in 2024. In complete, the telephones will obtain 5 years of safety updates, too. However is that this lengthy sufficient?
It’s a query we posed to readers in a current ballot, and the outcomes at the moment are in.
Is the Google Pixel 6’s replace promise lengthy sufficient?
This ballot noticed greater than 1,800 votes after it went dwell on October 23. There have been two choices to select from, both “Sure, it’s sufficient” or “No, it ought to be longer.” Understandably, given the outcomes of earlier polls, the latter garnered the vast majority of the help.
Greater than three-quarters (75.3%) of respondents consider three years of OS updates and 5 years of safety patches simply aren’t lengthy sufficient, particularly for an organization like Google. Round 24% of readers consider Google’s promise is ample.
These arguing that Google’s help interval is just too transient have rational causes. For starters, because the caretaker of Android, you’d anticipate Google to announce prolonged help for the OS on its newest and best flagship, in an analogous method to Apple’s iOS help. That stated, this stays the perfect you may get on Android, with Samsung solely promising 4 years of updates. Regardless of this, voters really feel that Google’s setting the bar too low. However do these within the feedback agree?
- JL: Don’t learn about anybody else right here, however my Pixel 4XL is now on its third OS (10-12) with a minimum of another coming subsequent yr. my telephone will get quicker with each OS replace. This appears to be the alternative case in my expertise with iOS. Apple’s stuff turned laggier and laggier with each replace. My Pixel is getting higher and quicker. Android 12 completely sings on my Pixel 4XL. It feels a lot snappier and higher in comparison with Android 10 and 11. Though Apple telephones get updates, these updates in my expertise have at all times degraded the expertise. I don’t really feel like this topic will get the eye it deserves. Apple will get all of the accolades however with none asterisks.
- Kira: Google ought to in any case provide 4 years of main OS updates to one-up different Android OEMs who at the moment are promising 3 years of the identical. That is much more essential(and viable) since Google now has its personal customized SoC, that may allow it to help Pixel gadgets for longer durations.
- Daniel: Personally I’m shocked to learn this. I used to be satisfied one of many major causes for Google to fabricate their very own chips was extending software program help. Positive they’re promising 5 years of safety. However let’s be sincere: the common shopper doesn’t care about safety patches, solely about Android variations.
- Jetscreamer: There isn’t any level in Google designing a customized, in-house SoC, in the event that they received’t even help it for the long run. The primary argument over OS upgrades for years was the Qualcomm excuse. So what’s your excuse now Google?
- thereasoner: I feel folks aren’t seeing the large image right here. First, Google stated “a minimum of” 3 OS and 5 years safety. Keep in mind the OG Pixel wasn’t alleged to get Android 10 however Google up to date it anyway, as a result of essential options the OG Pixel may make the most of made it worthwhile. On this case Mainline and Characteristic Drops. The identical may very well be true for the Pixel 6 and Android 16, but it surely’s clearly too early to inform. Second, Google has been actively separating each safety updates and new options from the OS model since Android 10. Each Mainline for safety and Characteristic Drops provide updates seamlessly and individually from the OS. Consequently, the OS model is way much less essential for Android now than it’s for Apple’s iOS, the place OS updates are completely essential for issues that Android can get with out them. Backside line, if Android 16 has essential options that the Pixel 6 can run then it’ll seemingly get this 4th OS improve, similar to the OG Pixel acquired an additional and sudden OS model replace. Google simply isn’t within the behavior of offering an OS improve minus the options, a lot much less one which hurts efficiency, like Apple does. Apple can get away with doing that as a result of most of their customers merely don’t know any higher. Google would get completely roasted by their tech-savvy customers for doing the identical.
That’s it for this ballot. Thanks for voting and commenting. Have any further ideas? Remember to drop them within the feedback under.